CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 15, 2008

multicultural chronicles

Last year, I had a chance to walk through an exhibition with a local artist who wanted to show me her works.
She's white, but she did a study of the origins of some family upstate.
She kept going through the exhibition, and telling me how these people were unique, because they were "tri-racial."
Yes, black, native american and white.

Giggle.

I've always checked the black box, b/c it was convenient.
I happen to be of this same tri-racial lineage too.
I've never thought about it, b/c quite honestly, it's one of those, "oh that's nice" kind of moments.
I wasn't one of those black kids that stood up in school, and started saying, "yeah, my grandmother is part Cherokee!"
Yes, we are such a self-loathing race, it's pretty pathetic after awhile.
I don't wave some afro-centric flag, and I haven't been w/o a relaxer since the age of 8, but to be honest, being black is not that deep.
At the end of the day, maybe it's just part of something bigger....
being an AMERICAN. :)